Sunday 10 February 2013

Warm Bodies Review.

Personally I find zombie films a little boring, a bit predictable. Shaun of the Dead being a hilarious exception, of course. But admittedly, when I came across the 'Warm Bodies' trailer on the internet, I'd already decided before watching that I'd hate it. But I was left pleasantly surprised. Being a sucker for a good love film and for Nicholas Hoult; who plays the role of the ever so loveable 'R', I was curious to find out more of this so called 'paranormal romantic comedy'.
                                                                                                                                                                                                               
After a zombie apocalypse wipes out most of the living population, R and the rest of the undead mob; including R's comical best friend 'M', spend their time roaming around an abandoned airport, craving human flesh. During a feeding frenzy with a gathering of humans, R spots Julie and feels an immediate urge to protect her from his fellow corpses. R looks out for Julie and the pair bond with one another; causing R to slowly become his former human self, which later spreads amongst the rest of the zombie gang who also begin to regain their human memories and emotions. Though as R and Julie attempt to convince the world of R's phenomenon, they find themselves trapped between the fearful, paranoid humans; including Julie's father and the flesh-seeking 'Bonie' zombies.

Firstly, I thought Nicholas Hoult was the perfect casting for the role of R; his natural, quirky and boyish mannerisms were perfectly suited to that of the love-struck zombie. And on this occasion, I found it refreshing to watch an actor who didn't have a bucket load of experience behind him. It allowed me to keep an open mind, without relating him to dozens of previous films. I also found Teresa Palmer, who is a newbie to me; sweet and charming in the role of Julie. Though she did irritate me when she persistently tried to escape from R; but this just shows how into it I got!

Warm Bodies is clever in so many ways. I mean, who comes up with the idea of 'de-zombifying' someone? It is clear that plenty of thought has gone into the narrative of the film, not to mention the technique. I particularly liked the use of high-key lighting for the outside environment; a nice, subtle contrast between the outside world and the dreary world of the undead..

The story of R and Julie is both sweet, hilarious and surely appealing to almost anyone through it's alternate take on what is in my opinion, becoming a very tedious genre of horror. Give it a try, keep an open mind and I'm sure you'll enjoy it! It's a must see in opinion, though not
   coming from a hopeless romantic whatsoever.









http://c534909.r9.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Warm-Bodies-011.jpg
http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/new-uk-poster-for-warm-bodies-124023-1000-100.jpgnot

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Google+